The legend which tells about the circumstances attending to the birth of Maan Kalika Devi is as below :
“Millions of years ago, the gods who dwelt in the neighbourhood of the present temple were troubled by two giants and were compelled to prefer their complaint to Lord Brahma, ‘the god of all’.
But Lord Brahma declined to interfere, and referred them to the goddess Parvati. Out of the mouth of Maa Parvati sprung Kaushki Devi, who attacked the two giants and slaughtered them, but it so happened, that as their blood fell on the dry earth thousands of giants came into life, and the battle was maintained by Kaushki Devi against great odds.
Maa Parvati took compassion on her offspring and out of the eyebrows of Kaushki Devi came the monster Kali Devi, ‘whose lower lip rested on the hills below and the upper lip touched the sky above. She drank the blood of the slaughtered giants as it poured out of their wounds; and the goddess obtained a complete victory over their enemies.
Maa Kali Devi then fixed her abode here, and she was worshipped as the chief divinity of the place.
According to the Government gadgets of Hindu and Muslim ‘The temple of Kalka Ji is said to have a very ancient origin, but the oldest portions of the present building is believed to have been constructed not earlier than the 1764 A.D. In 1816 A.D. Mirza Raja Kidar Nath, the Peshkar of Akbar II, made some additions to it, and for the last 50 years a considerable number of dharamshalas have been erected in the vicinity by the Hindu bankers and merchants of Delhi.’ “